2/3 cup raw sunflower seeds lightly toasted
1 cup roughly chopped garlic scapes, bulbs discarded
2 cups fresh basil roughly chopped
juice and zest from 1 lemon
1 tsp kosher salt
cracked black pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Toasted Sunflower Seeds
1. Position a small dry pan over very low heat.
2. Add the sunflower seeds and toast the sunflower seeds, stirring often, until they begin to turn a golden colour. About 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Garlic Scape Pesto
1. Place the sunflower seed, garlic scapes, basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper into a food processor or blender. If you are using a high-powered blender go slowly, and make sure you do not completely puree the ingredients. Pulse a few times.
2. Then, with the processor running on low, gradually add the olive oil. Continue until the mixture is thoroughly blended but still has some texture to it.
3. Taste and adjust salt/pepper to your preference.
4. Transfer the pesto to a jar or other airtight container and add the grated parmesan, stirring until completely mixed.
5. Serve immediately or seal and store in the refrigerated for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.