Italian Sausage with Peppers & Onions
- 6 (4 ounce) links Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Place the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, and brown on all sides. Remove from skillet, and slice.
- Melt butter in the skillet. Stir in the yellow onion, red onion, and garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in red bell pepper and green bell pepper. Season with basil, and oregano. Stir in white wine. Continue to cook and stir until peppers and onions are tender.
- Return sausage slices to skillet with the vegetables. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until sausage is heated through.
- 2 pounds fresh bratwurst sausages
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup butter
- 6 (12 fluid ounce) cans or bottles beer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 10 hoagie rolls
- Prick bratwurst with fork to prevent them from exploding as they cook. Place in a large stock pot with the onions, butter, and beer. Place pot over medium heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Lightly oil grate. Cook bratwurst on preheated grill for 10 to 14 minutes, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Serve hot off the grill with onions on hoagie rolls.