The Cape Breton Food Hub Co-op makes it really easy to get the products of local producers into the hands of local consumers and chefs!
We are a multi-stakeholder co-op with both producers and consumers as our members. Our 10-person board of directors, includes producers, consumers, restaurants, retailers, federation of agriculture and municipal representation.
When you buy or sell food through the Cape Breton Food Hub, you are contributing to a more vibrant local food economy and becoming part of an island wide food community!
A healthy food economy that supports a growing diversity of producers on the land and the sea on Cape Breton Island.
The Cape Breton Food Hub will provide the leadership to ensure a responsive, efficient distribution linkage between local food producers and consumers at all levels. This will create a more sustainable food system and will increase the number of producers and their profitability and viability while improving access to high quality local food across the region.
What We've Achieved
- Consumers increase their local food intake by over 50%
- Creation of new jobs in the agriculture sector in Cape Breton
- Enable small businesses and farmers to thrive
- Increased profit to Food Hub producers 50% higher from year 1 to year 2
- Displaced over $200K of imports in its 3 years of operation
- Engaged over 40 small food producers and 200 consumers across the island
- Increased from 3 distribution zones to 7 in 3 years of operation
- Engaged countless community members in food skills workshops, social events and through our newsletter.
Current Food hub staff:
- Alicia Lake - Executive Director
- Jennie Dubitsky - Office Administrator
Board of directors
The Cape Breton Food Hub is incorporated as a multi-stakeholder non-profit co-operative in Nova Scotia. The Food Hub is also governed by a 10-person board of directors listed below.
Current Board Members:
- Jim Mustard - Board Chair & Consumer Member
- Wynn MacNeil - Vice Chair & Consumer Member
- Alison Giovannetti - Secretary/Treasurer & Consumer Member
- Nicole Dixon - Consumer Member
- Len Vassallo - Producer Member
- Cory Blundon - Restaurant Member
- Kari Easthouse - Producer Member
- Peter LeBlanc - Producer Member
- Pauline MacLeod - Ex-oficio Member
- Marilyn MacDonald - Producer Member
The Food Hub is very grateful for a full roster of volunteers who help with all aspects of the operation.